Monday, June 16, 2008

Doing it all over again again, again

Today will occur the first legal marriages for same sex couples in California (story).

My trepidation aside, Rob, the twins, and I will be headed west in a month to join the masses hoping for a lasting chance at equal treatment. We will, in fact, be married on our 13th anniversary; the reservations are set.

I know, it makes little sense when it'll all be void once we land back in our home state of Utah. But I need to feel like I have all the legal protection I can get for my family; besides, who knows, maybe we will have to move away someday. I'll just sleep a bit better.

To that end, I've began putting up some reasons for marriage equality at isocrat.org (I know, the site is taking way too long to launch, but I just keep on thinking of new stuff I want to add in). If anyone cares to take a look, I'd appreciate an editing and I'd love additional suggestions to add to my lists.

Here's a page of reasons for same-sex marriage


and

Here's a page on statistical evidence from jurisdictions that have given such marriage rights.

Anyway, here's to hope, and wish us luck (That the law will stick, not for our marriage. I'm pretty sure I've picked the right guy after all these years :-)).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, good luck. I hope it sticks too.

Java said...

That's exciting. Especially that it occurs on your anniversary. Congratulations and good luck.

angryyoungwoman said...

Congratulations! Good Luck!! throws birdseed

Craig said...

Wow Scot, that's amazing. I'm so happy/excited/jealous. I hope you guys and the kids have a great trip, and I want to hear all about it when you get back.

Unknown said...

13 years! That's amazing!

I'm happy for you guys. Have fun on the trip.

Scot said...

Thank you all, for the well wishes.

Especially that it occurs on your anniversary

Yeah, we may just be lucky our anniversary lands between making it legal and illegal :-).

I'm happy for you guys. Have fun on the trip.

Oh we will. We will be honeymooning at Lego Land; that's what the boys are most excited about :-).

MoHoHawaii said...

By the law of unintended consequences, California is giving gay people 'super marriages' that have no possibility of divorce (making so-called 'covenant' marriages of the Christian right seem pale in comparision).

The issue is that while nonresidents may marry in California they may not divorce. To get divorced, you would have to move to CA and establish residency for a year.

(I know this is not a concern for you, since a long history together already.)

Scot said...

Heck, I'm all for that.

I am an advocate of nessiage after all. ;-)

John Gustav-Wrathall said...

We'll be there in July, from the 19th through the 27th!

It won't be recognized in our state either. But I think it's important to keep moving forward. Take each step that can be taken. Then take the next one...

A.J. said...

Congratulations!

JB said...

Congradulations, you finally get to tie the knot with your sweetheart!! Yay!