Monday, December 17, 2007

Miscellaneous

--Rob’s dad stayed with us and offered to watch the boys. Once we got them to bed we went and caught I Am Legend. To admit to my inner sissy, I would have sat on Rob’s lap through the entire thing if I could have, and I’m sure I grabbed him too tight a couple times. It’s been years since I’ve seen a horror movie, aside from Doogal, which the boys suggested. I enjoyed it much more than I expected, despite jumping all over the place. The whole notion of a zombie of any sort really gets to me on a gut level, the familiar and loved turning on you and such (don’t even get me started on the dog… I’ve been a sucker for such since Old Yeller). Will Smith ain’t bad either ;-).

--I opened Brian’s closet to put some clothes away and stumbled upon this:
A group of picnicking stuffed animals, each with a cup of water, or more. I love these kinds of messes.

--I noticed the fruit dryer on last Friday and thought, “Great, I love Rob’s apple chips.” But I came to find that none of it was for my stomach. He was drying citrus fruit to use as decorations for our presents… to match our citrus fruit themed tree…
Yes, we are, indeed, gay.

--Seems MoHo, Todd, won Survivor. Sneaky and scheming, and I wonder how his actions might reflect on gays and Mormons alike, but that was what he was supposed to do, right? Sneak, lie, and scheme... Congratulations, then.

--I realized one more parental mistake. I started counting over the weekend to three with no idea what I’d do if I actually reached it. Thank goodness it’s so effective :-).

--We went to Rob's family Christmas party. I love his family. There's still that one uncle, though, who gives me dirty looks and has never said hi. Now that's dedication; it's been 15 years!

--We went to another Christmas party (tis the season):

And of all the people I could have ran into I saw this guy again, one of the two people with whom I’ve ever been physically forceful. He must have been out of prison for a while now, as he had a daughter, about a year old. I hope the personal demon that put away for so long is well behind him.

We just said hi. That’s it; no strong emotions left in either of us about the other I guess. Funny how your history means so much less to you once you become someone’s parent. It’s like it all was about someone else :-).

2 comments:

Craig said...

I saw a trailer for that movie, and I have no desire to watch it. The trailer scared me, and if I were sitting next to Rob, I would probably sit on his lap the whole time too, and I don't even know him!

So, that's Brian's closet? Its huge! I am so jealous. Did you knock over any of the water cups before you realised what was going on?

I've never thought to decorate presents with dried slices of citrus, but I think its a wonderful idea. And something I can totally see myself doing. I was listening to Madonna the other day in my car as my roommate and I drove to a restaurant and then to go see a movie (the Golden Compass), and he looks at me and says "Wow, you really are gay, aren't you?"
(He knows, as do all my roommates) It was pretty funny.

--I realized one more parental mistake. I started counting over the weekend to three with no idea what I’d do if I actually reached it. Thank goodness it’s so effective :-).

I'm not sure where I stand on the counting to 3 thing. My parents did it, as I assume most did, but like you, I wonder what indeed I would do when I reach that most magical and final of numbers. I expect that as soon as a child has the patience/tenacity to wait just those few seconds longer, they would realise that I have nothing to back up my threat. I'm not very good at being punitive.

Scot said...

if I were sitting next to Rob, I would probably sit on his lap the whole time too

Watch it Mister. I’m the jealous type :-)

Did you knock over any of the water cups before you realised what was going on?

Fortunately the door opens into his bedroom and not the closet; almost stepped on Brownie, though (the triceratops in the foreground).

I'm not sure where I stand on the counting to 3 thing.

I really don’t like using it. It is a threat… of something :-). Sometimes though, at night, counting is the only way I can get Alan to slow down and into pajamas.