Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Menagerie

Our little family has a couple new members:

That’s Sarah on the grass, and Zelda in the home with Alan in his cool new glasses.

Yes, we're insane.

We now have two bunnies, two parakeets, three frogs, and a dog, poor thing—he so much wants to eat those bunnies, but must settle for licking them until they’re damp.

And a parental warning:

Frogs, right? Sounds like a short term pet, huh? Our boys won our water frogs at the Helper Arts Festival last year, while our backs were turned and the grandparents were in charge. I thought: frogs in a Ziploc bag… I just hope they live past the boy’s interest in them. The other day I was in the car and npr had a bit on such frogs, and it turns out they’ll live to be about 12, eons past a child’s interest in them. I’m now the only one in the home who notices those dull, pitiful creatures, and may be taking care of them the day our boys head off to college. Be forewarned.

4 comments:

Kengo Biddles said...

I love rabbits! Especially with carrots and potatoes in a mustard sauce. They're more than kind of greasy...

And I've never tried frog's legs, but I hear they're good...

Craig said...

Frog legs are yummy. Rabbits are cute to look at, but the rabbits my family's has as pets are always trying to bite and chew things (like power cords). So they basically spend all their time in the garage. They seem more trouble than they were worth to me. Unless you're raising them to eat them.

My family has 2 cats, a dog, two horses, two rabbits (and this is dangerous. even when you have two same sexed animals, you inevitable end with more - how this happens, I have no idea), assorted fish, two iguanas, a hamster/guinea pig/some rodent, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

And why don't you just release the frogs into the wild? Take them to a pond somewhere with the boys or something. (Or eat them).

Scot said...

Guys, I’m not going to eat the pets. Besides, the frogs are so small they’d fit on a Ritz cracker and I hate greasy rabbit meat.

And why don't you just release the frogs into the wild?

I’m afraid “released into the wild” would only be a euphemism for “sentenced to a miserable death” as this particular species of frog is native to the hot climate of India. I just can’t do it to them (but don't think I've not considered it...).

Craig said...

I’m afraid “released into the wild” would only be a euphemism for “sentenced to a miserable death” as this particular species of frog is native to the hot climate of India.

Ah, I see.

Well, you could sell (or give) them to a pet shop.